Online Support Group for Women Over 40 Experiencing an Eating Disorder or Disordered Eating – Tier 1
This ONLINE support group is for WOMEN (40+) with eating disorders, disordered eating, and/or experiencing anxiety around food, eating, and body image.
You do not need proof of diagnosis to enroll.
This group is open to those with all manner of disordered eating behaviour.
About This Group
Because no one should have to face an eating disorder alone, this ONLINE, multi-week, professionally facilitated support group promotes self discovery in a safe space.
Why women over 40?
- There is a need for a group specific to women over 40 years old in midlife, as the issues are different than for younger women.
- You may have struggled with disordered eating for years and never sought counselling or treatment but have decided to now.
- You may have been in recovery and feel it creeping back into your life.
- You have just developed disordered eating for the first time in your life.
- Potential triggers can include media image; physical changes during midlife; major life changes, such as divorce or kids leaving home.
- This group will provide a safe place for women to share their struggles, concerns, and successes with other women who really understand.
PLEASE NOTE: This group is intended as support, and is not a substitute for treatment. We encourage you to speak with your Physician about treatment options specific to your circumstances.
EDSNA support groups are always:
- Professionally-facilitated by people with extensive backgrounds in eating disorders.
- Intended to support those wishing to continue on the path of recovery in a safe, nonjudgmental environment.
- Limited to a small number of participants to allow everyone to participate fully.
Individuals interested in participating DO NOT require proof of diagnosis. This group is open to those with all manner of disordered eating behaviour.
Support Group Details
This group will meet on eight (8) Wednesdays
- January 11, 18, 25
- February 1, 8, 15, 22
- March 1
This is a multi-week group. Registration for this series includes all eight sessions.
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm (18:00 – 20:00 MST)
Online via Zoom, details sent separately*
$80 (online, via Jane)**
Carol Fredrek, Registered Psychologist
*A computer/laptop/tablet and internet access are required to participate. Please be sure to review your confirmation email carefully, and the information to download and use “Zoom”, as well as the “Guidelines for Groups” document will be in the email. The link to access the sessions will be sent closer to the start date of the group.
**EDSNA does not want financial barriers to stop a participant from attending a support group. Please email info@EDSNA.ca to discuss your circumstances, as we may be able to reduce your fees, or waive them entirely.
About Your Facilitator
Carol is a Registered Psychologist who specializes in eating disorders, body image, anxiety, depression, and trauma. For over 2 decades, she has offered skilled and caring therapy. Carol incorporates research-proven therapy approaches such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR), and Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT Tapping). To learn more about her approach, visit this page. Be at peace with yourself. Be at peace with food, your body, and your weight. To learn more, visit her website at healingmatters.ca.