Online Drop-in Support Group for Caregivers: Open Discussion
This online drop-in group is suitable for parents, partners, friends, siblings, loved ones, and supporters of anyone with eating disorders.
About This Group
This drop-in group facilitated by Registered Psychologist Karen Wadson, encourages caregivers and loved ones supporting those with eating disorders, to bring their questions, concerns, and issues for this open-forum group.
Some of the topics covered during previous sessions have included:
- Starting points when learning about eating disorders: what they are, what they aren’t, diagnostic criteria, and the “do’s” and “don’ts”
- Reconnecting with, and setting new boundaries
- Disentangling your child from the eating disorder (“is this them, or is it the illness?”)
- Ways to communicate without “taking the bait”
- Positive psychology skills and fostering open communication
- Language that helps (and language that hinders) recovery and language that can be triggering
- “Role play” practice – how to actually use this language in a conversation
- Evaluating your own beliefs & biases – how they might affect your ability to support someone in recovery
- Practical tips for supporting someone in varying stages of recovery
Every session will include space for group discussion, check in/out, and peer support. What do YOU want to discuss? Bring your own questions and topics for discussion!
EDSNA support groups are always:
- Professionally-facilitated by people with extensive backgrounds in eating disorders
- Intended to support those wishing to support someone through their path to recovery in a safe, nonjudgmental environment
- Focused on fostering a sense of empowerment and hope
- Focused on promoting self-discovery in a safe space
- Limited to a small number of participants to allow everyone to participate fully
Questions about this group? Email info@EDSNA.ca for more information
Support Group Details
This is a drop-in group open to parents, partners, friends, siblings, loved ones, and supporters of anyone with eating disorders.
6:30 pm – 8:30 pm (18:30 – 20:30 MST)
Online via Zoom, details sent separately*
Cost for this session:
$10 (online, via Jane)**
Karen Wadson, Registered Psychologist
*A computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone and internet access are required to participate. On the day the group is scheduled you will receive an email link directly from your facilitator inviting you to attend the Zoom meeting.
**EDSNA strives to ensure that financial considerations are not barriers to ones ability to seek support for themselves or a loved one. Please email email@example.com if pricing of this group is a concern, as we may be able to reduce or waive fees entirely.
About Your Facilitator
Karen is a Registered Psychologist in Calgary with over 10 years of counselling experience. She practices from a client centered approach, which views the client as the expert on their own life, and she draws interventions from psycho-dynamic, CBT, solution focused and narrative therapies to assist clients in making the changes they would like to have in their lives. Her particular area of specialization is in the area of disordered eating and body image. She holds advanced training in the treatment of eating disorders through the International Association of Eating Disorder Prevention (IAEDP).