Please note: For the sake of simplicity, only the starting dates for groups are indicated in this calendar. Please click on start date for more complete details.
ONLINE DROP-IN for Caregivers: Shame, Stigma, & Self-Care (E)
April 14 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm| $10.00
This online drop-in group is suitable for parents, partners, friends, siblings, loved ones, and anyone who supports an individual with an eating disorder/disordered eating.
For groups for people with eating disorders, as well as other groups for caregivers,
please refer to our full programming calendar.
About this support group session
There are a number of factors that can contribute to the development and persistence of an eating disorder. Parents, however, often feel that they are the primary cause. This psycho-educational group will cover the neuro-, bio-, and environmental basis of eating disorders, and help those supporting a loved one better understand that it isn’t their fault.
This session will include:
- Neurological, biological, and environmental basis of eating disorders
- Validate tough emotions- it’s ok to feel angry/sad/scared or other complex feelings
- Offer self-care tips and strategies
- Leave space for group discussion and check-in – what do you want to discuss?
EDSNA support groups are always:
- Professionally-facilitated by people with extensive backgrounds in eating disorders.
- Intended to support to those wishing to support someone through their path to recovery in a safe, nonjudgmental environment
- Focused on fostering a sense of empowerment and hope
- Focused on promoting self-discovery in a safe space
- Limited to a small number of participants allow everyone to participate fully.
Questions about this group? Email info@EDSNA.ca for more information
Support Group Details
The date for this support group is Wednesday, April 14th, 2021
Time: 6:30 pm – 8:30pm MST (18:30 – 20:30 MST)
Location: Online, via Zoom*
Cost for this session: $10 **
Facilitator: Karen Wadson, R.Psych
*You will receive the link to attend the Zoom meeting an hour before the meeting is set to start. A computer/laptop/tablet and internet access are required to participate. If you do not receive a confirmation email within one (1) business day of registering, please email email@example.com .
**EDSNA strives to ensure that financial considerations are not barriers to ones ability to seek support for themselves or a loved one. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if pricing of this group is a concern, as we may be able to reduce or waive your fees.
About your facilitator:
Karen Wadson, R.Psych
Karen is a registered psychologist in Calgary with over 10 years of counselling experience. She practices from a client centered approach, which views the client as the expert on their own life, and she draws interventions from psycho-dynamic, CBT, solution focused and narrative therapies to assist clients in making the changes they would like to have in their lives. Her particular area of specialization is in the area of disordered eating and body image. She holds advanced training in the treatment of eating disorders through the International Association of Eating Disorder Prevention (IAEDP).