Please note: For the sake of simplicity, only the starting dates for groups are indicated in this calendar. Please click on start date for more complete details.
May 24 Online Drop-in Support for Caregivers
May 24 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
This online drop-in group is suitable for
parents, partners, friends, siblings, loved ones, and supporters
of anyone with eating disorders.
About these support group sessions
How do you separate your loved one from the eating disorder while maintaining your own healthy boundaries in the process? How do you create and maintain open communication with your loved one as they recover? How do you support yourself through this process??
These drop-in support sessions will discuss these issues. Professionally facilitated by registered psychologist Karen Wadson, bring your questions, concerns, and issues to this group. Gain insight from a psychologist, practical tips, peer support, and more.
Some of the topics covered during previous sessions have included:
- Starting points when learning about eating disorders: what they are, what they aren’t, diagnostic criteria, and the ‘do’s’ and ‘don’ts’
- Reconnecting with -and setting new- boundaries
- Disentangling your child from the eating disorder (“is this them, or is it the illness?”)
- Ways to communicate without ‘taking the bait’
- Positive psychology skills and fostering open communication
- Language that helps (and language that hinders) recovery, and triggers
- ‘Role play’ practice – how to actually use this language in a conversation
- Evaluating your own beliefs & biases – how they might affect your ability to support someone in recovery
- Practical tips for supporting someone in varying stages of recovery
Every session will include space for group discussion, checkin/out, and peer support– what do YOU want to discuss? Bring your own questions and topics for discussion!
EDSNA support groups are always:
- Professionally-facilitated by people with extensive backgrounds in eating disorders.
- Intended to support to those wishing to support someone through their path to recovery in a safe, nonjudgmental environment
- Focused on fostering a sense of empowerment and hope
- Focused on promoting self-discovery in a safe space
- Limited to a small number of participants allow everyone to participate fully.
Questions about this group? Email info@EDSNA.ca for more information
Support Group Details
Dates for this session includes:
- May 24, 2022
Please register for each session individually– available dates will be listed on the ticketing page.
6:30 pm – 8:30pm MST (18:30 – 20:30 MST)
Online, via Zoom
Cost for this session:
$10 – payable on Eventbrite
Karen Wadson, Registered Psychologist
– You will receive the link to attend the Zoom meeting no later than an hour before the meeting is set to start
– A computer/laptop/tablet/smartphone and internet access are required to participate.
– EDSNA strives to ensure that financial considerations are not barriers to ones ability to seek support for themselves or a loved one. Please email email@example.com if pricing of this group is a concern, as we may be able to reduce or waive your fees.
– If you do not receive a confirmation email within one (1) business day of registering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
About your Facilitator
Karen is a registered psychologist in Calgary with over 10 years of counselling experience. She practices from a client centered approach, which views the client as the expert on their own life, and she draws interventions from psycho-dynamic, CBT, solution focused and narrative therapies to assist clients in making the changes they would like to have in their lives. Her particular area of specialization is in the area of disordered eating and body image. She holds advanced training in the treatment of eating disorders through the International Association of Eating Disorder Prevention (IAEDP).