Please note: For the sake of simplicity, only the starting dates for groups are indicated in this calendar. Please click on start date for more complete details.
Support Group for Women Over 40 with Eating Disorders/Disordered Eating
September 16 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm| Free – $80.00
This ONLINE support group is for WOMEN (40+) with eating disorders, disordered eating, and/or experiencing anxiety around food, eating, and body image.
You do not need proof of diagnosis to enrol.
This group is open to those with all manner of disordered eating behaviour.
For the parents, partners, and loved ones, please refer to our Full Programming Calendar.
About This Group
Because no one should have to face an eating disorder alone, this ONLINE, multi-week, professionally facilitated support group promotes self discovery in a safe space.
Why women over 40?
- There is a need for a group specific to women over 40 years old in midlife, as the issues are different than for younger women.
- The reasons are the following: 1. You may have had an eating disorder for many, many years and never sought counselling or treatment but have decided to now, 2. You may have been in recovery and feel it creeping back into your life, or 3. You have just developed an eating disorder for the first time in your life.
- Triggers can include: Unattainable media image of women who are younger, physical changes during midlife which can have a very negative emotional impact combined with a major life change, such as divorce or kids leaving home.
- This group will provide a safe place for women to share their struggles, concerns, and successes with other women who really understand.
This support group is:
- Professionally-facilitated by people with extensive backgrounds in eating disorders.
- Intended to support to those wishing to continue on the path of recovery in a safe, nonjudgmental environment
- Limited to a small number of participants allow everyone to participate fully.
Support Group Details
This group will meet on Wednesdays.
- Sept 16, 23, 30
- Oct 7, 14, 21, 28
- Nov 4
This is a multi-week group. Registration is required for each group a participant wishes to join. (Note: For single-session groups, visit our full programming calendar )
Time: 6:30pm – 8:30pm (18:30 – 20:30 MST)
Location: Online, via Join.Me*
Cost: $80 (online, using Paypal)**
Facilitator: Carol Fredrek, R.Psych
*EDSNA currently uses the video conferencing app “Join.Me” to conduct online groups. Detailed instructions to download and use the app are included in the confirmation email. A computer/laptop/tablet and internet access are required to participate. Please be sure to review your confirmation email carefully, as the code required to join this support group will be in the email. EDSNA does not send links to join support groups.
**EDSNA does not want financial barriers to stop a participant from attending a support group. Please email info@EDSNA.ca to discuss your circumstances, as we may be able to reduce your fees, or waive them entirely.
About Your Facilitator
Carol is a Registered Psychologist who specializes in eating disorders, body image, anxiety, depression, and trauma. For over 2 decades, she has offered skilled and caring therapy. Carol incorporates research-proven therapy approaches such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR), and Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT Tapping). To learn more about her approach, visit this page. Be at peace with yourself. Be at peace with food, your body, and your weight. To learn more, visit her website at healingmatters.ca.