Eating Disorders Awareness Week (EDAW) is recognized across Canada and around the world as an opportunity to build hope, create connections, share resources, inform and educate. Since 2014, EDSNA has hosted events in Alberta, thanks to the generous contributions of countless volunteers, partners, donors and supporters.
If you, your business, your community or your school would like to participate, please contact Sue@EDSNA.ca.
This week is also a chance to break down stigma and correct the many misconceptions that exist about eating disorders. Here are some ways that you can support Eating Disorders Awareness Week, no matter where you live in the province.
- Contact the volunteer coordinator in Red Deer, Calgary or Edmonton to help out at one of the events or promote the week
- Ask your local businesses to adopt the colour purple for Feb 1-7 in their window displays or by wearing purple ribbons, hats, socks, gloves or scarves. Here is a template letter you may want to use and/or adapt. (Be sure to send us a photo if they do participate so we can share it!)
- Ask you municipality to issue a proclamation of the week. Most cities and towns have information about how to request this on their website. If you are successful, be sure to let Sue@EDSNA.ca know so she can share the information with NEDIC, who is recording all the proclamations across Canada!
- Ask your municipality to light up a local landmark in purple and tweet the picture to @EatingDSNA with the hashtag #EDAW. (Let Sue@EDSNA.ca know so she can inform the national database with NEDIC.)
- Share an information page, pamphlet, link, video, book title or any of the other resources found on our Resources page
- Let your educators know that we have a resource page just for them about eating disorders in the classroom
- Let your fitness instructor or coach know we have a resource page just for them about eating disorders in athletes
- Let your healthcare professional know we have a resource page just for them too!
- Host a social media event, like the #InnerSelfie campaign or do your own version of #Smash_ED in your backyard!
- Talk about eating disorders and share your story.
- Follow the EDAW activities across Canada and show your support on social media, using the hashtags #EDAW
- Donate to EDSNA so we can continue to host free events, offer presentations and provide support to those who need it. We are a registered charity, so you will receive a tax receipt.
Upcoming Eating Disorder Awareness Week Events
Please stay tuned. We will posting information about our events soon. In the meantime, please contact our volunteer coordinator to be part of the planning! (Volunteer@EDSNA.ca)