Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2016 was a great success!
Thank you to Field Law for the grant that enabled ED-ucate to happen. Thank you to Canadian Mental Health Association-Edmonton Region, the Alberta Teachers’ Association, Remedy Cafe, Zuppa Cafe, The Mercury Room, Studio Bloom, Grant MacEwan, The Keg, Integration Pilates, the Simpson Family, our expert panelists and presenters, Bev Esslinger and the City of Edmonton, our brave and talented performers, our dedicated volunteers and Board members. And thanks to everyone who showed up to learn, raise awareness, compassion and hope.
Monday, February 1 at 10 AM and 8:30 PM
- Proclamation at City Hall at 10 AM in the main lobby, in front of the stairs to the Chambers.
- Lighting up the High Level Bridge and the ATB Building in purple around 9:30 PM (We will meet at Zuppa Cafe, 9843 110 Street for a warm drink first at 8:30 PM and then walk to the bridge together)
Tuesday, February 2 at 6:30 PM
- Colour_ED- a social event with colouring!
- Remedy Cafe, upstairs, 8631 109 Street
- Come meet people, colour a bit and enjoy being together.
Wednesday, February 3- all day
- SORRY- ED-Ucate IS SOLD OUT!
- An All-day symposium on eating disorders called ED-Ucate
- At 11010- 142 Street. Alberta Teachers’ Association Building
- Made possible by a grant from Field Law and in kind sponsorship of the Alberta Teachers’ Association.
- PLUS: In the evening, a panel discussion just for healthcare professionals and post secondary students studying healthcare fields.. An amazing opportunity to learn from eating disorder treatment professionals and one of Canada’s top researchers on the neurology of anorexia.
Thursday, February 4 at 7 PM:
- SHAME LESS – An artists’ cabaret at The Mercury Room. 10575 114 St, Edmonton
- Celebrating positive body image and shame-busting. Creative, empowering, and passionate.
Friday, February 5 from Noon-2 PM:
- #Smash_ED returns!!
- Bring your bathroom scale and smash it to smithereens. Decorate a fragment to add to our art installation on positive body image.
- WHERE: Alumni Walk between SUB and Quad at the University of Alberta.
- Hosted by Canadian Mental Health Association- Edmonton Region
Art Exhibit on body image runs until March 11:
The Changing Room, an installation by Mary Joyce on eating disorders and body image at the Armoury. The artwork is comprised of eight oil panels arranged to form a free standing floor piece in alternating folds or to be installed as two rectangular columns.
Edmonton Prince of Wales Armoury, Heritage Centre, 10440 108 Avenue
The exhibit runs from Feb 1 to March 11, 2016. Reception: Feb 3, 6:30-9:00 PM.