Eating Disorders Awareness Week happens every year February 1-7.
EDSNA is proud to host events during the week to raise awareness, promote understanding, share resources and empower change. Join us!!
Poster for full week of events (please feel free to share): EDAW EDMONTON FINAL PDF
- Official Launch, 6:30 PM
- City Hall, 1 Sir Winston Churchill, Edmonton.
- All welcome. Short program followed by a collaborative art project on the theme Eating Disorders: One Size Doesn’t Fit All.
- Workshop for Fitness Professionals, 9 AM- 1 PM
- Van Vliet Center, 114 and 87 Avenue, University of Alberta Campus, Room 2-210
- Workshop for trainers, coaches, instructors, studio owners to help build awareness and capacity in the fitness world about eating disorders, compulsive exercising and disordered body image in athletes.
- AFLCA accredited. (4 credits)
- Facilitated by: Katie Poirier (registered psychologist who specialises in eating disorders), Lacey Flichel (recreation therapist at the Eating Disorder Program at the University of Alberta Hospital) and Shara Vigeant (owner of SVPT Fitness).
- Cost: $75 (regular) $30 (student)
- To register, visit: https://edsna.wufoo.eu/forms/z1byn3em1rnyf2b/
- Eating Disorders Across Cultures – Panel Discussion, 1:00-2:50 pm
- Edmonton Health Clinic Academy, Room 2-190. 11405- 87 Avenue, University of Alberta Campus.
- Panelists include: Henna Khawja Clinical Director from Islamic Family & Social Services of Alberta; Vennessa Plotnikoff Navigator from Native Counselling Services of Alberta; Esma Karamanci person with a lived experience from the Turkish community; and Daisy Grossi, Registered Psychologist, Multicultural Health Brokers Cooperative.
- Open to all. Free.
- Shame_Less Cabaret, 7 pm
- The Mercury Room, 10575 114 Street
- A night of creative and artistic expression on the themes of recovery, hope and courage.
- Donation at the door
- PRINT and share the SHAME_LESS cabaret 2018 handbill to help spread the word!
- Fluevog Shoes FUNdraiser for EDSNA, 5:00-8:00 pm
- Fluevog Shoes- 10330 82 Ave NW
- For any purchase made between 5 and 8 PM, Fluevog will donate 50% of the purchase price to EDSNA!
- Great shoes, great cause, great fun!
We want to thank the following sponsors for their kind support of this week:
Poster of full week of events (please feel free to share): EDAW CALGARY FINAL PDF
This week is proudly presented with our partners, Silver Linings Foundation
Official Launch, 12:00 pm
- City Hall, 800 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary
- Celebrate the launch of the week with Mayor Nenshi and other representatives.
Demystifying Eating Disorders For Healthcare Professionals
- Dinner: 6:00-6:30pm, Program: 6:30-8:30pm
- Ruberto Ostberg Gallery
- This is specifically for family physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, psychologists, social workers, and other healthcare professionals.
- For more information or to register http://cumming.ucalgary.ca/cme/event/2018-02-01/demystifying-eating-disorders
Body Image, Eating Disorders & Youth Workshop, 12:00-1:30 pm
- Alberta Children’s Hospital – Kinsmen Learning Centre (4th floor)
- Recommended for parents, teachers and other allied adults who work with youth – youth are welcome too! FREE
- For more info or to register, please contact: Angela@EDSNA.ca
- Is available through Telehealth. May be recorded as a webinar.
“Straight/Curve” Documentary and Discussion, 6:30-9:00 pm
- Fort Calgary, 750 9 Ave SE, Calgary
- A viewing of a documentary on body image followed by a panel & audience discussion.
- Tickets are for sale at Straight/Curve Documentary.
Eating Disorder – Awareness and Risk Mitigation in the Fitness World, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
- For fitness professionals and post-secondary students hoping to and currently work with athletes or in the fitness world.
- AFLCA Accredited (4 credits)
- Location: VIVO, 11950 Country Village Link NE
- Cost: $75 (regular) $50 (AFLCA Leaders) $30 (student)
- Facilitated by Natasha Kutlesa, a registered psychologist who specializes in eating disorders and has worked with high level athletes, Dr. Angela Grace, a registered psychologist with her PhD in eating disorder prevention, and Janis Isaman, a movement specialist/
nutrition coach and owner of My Body Couture.
- To register, visit: https://edsna.wufoo.eu/forms/z5cd0e409n87o4/
BEYOU Body Image Workshop for Youth, 12:30-3:30pm
- Wymbin Yoga, 919 9 Ave SE #50, Calgary
- Cost: $25, proceeds going to EDAW
- 20 spots available
- Contact: jacqueline@heartfelthealth
Paint_ED Paint Nite, 6:00 pm
- Location: 1130 Kensington Rd NW Unit 100
- Open to kids, teens and adults
- Tickets: $40, can be purchased by contacting Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Celebrate eating disorder recovery through art!
Smash_ED, 12:30-4:00 pm
- Mount Royal University Main Street
- Join us to smash some bathroom scales with a sledgehammer and set yourself free from the tyranny of weight.
Fluevog Shoes FUNdraiser, 5:00-8:00 pm
- 207 8 Ave SW, Calgary
- 50% of all sales in Calgary will be donated to Silver Linings Foundation (similar event at the Edmonton Fluevog with proceeds donated to EDSNA)
Thank you to the following sponsors and supporters who have made this week possible:
Poster of events (please feel free to share): EDAW RED DEER FINAL PDF
January 25 at 7 pm:
“Straight/Curve” Viewing & Panel/Audience Discussion
- Location: Welikoklad Centre (4922 49th St)
- part of Red Deer Justice Film Festival.
- FREE thanks to the sponsorship of The Bra Lounge
- A viewing of a documentary on body image followed by a panel & audience discussion
February 1: Information Booth, Collicutt Centre, 9-11 am
- Pop by to learn more about the resources that are available in Red Deer to support those impacted by Eating Disorders
February 3:Information booth at G.H. Dawe Community Centre, 1 PM – 3 PM
- Check out our Fitness Attitude Boot Camp postcards on sale: 12 inspiring messages only $5.
February 6: Information Booth at Red Deer College, 11:30-1:30 PM
- Drop by the info table at RDC to learn more about resources available in Red Deer.